Museum Moments

Museum Moments


Elgin’s First Car
Purchased in 1900, the first locally owned automobile in Elgin belonged to Mr. and Mrs. George B. Richardson, superintendent at the David C. Cook Publishing Company. The photo is from the Howard Gusler collection donated in 1992.

Broadnax Shoe Repair Calendar
Daniel Broadnax came to Elgin in 1925, working 11 years for the Saxe Shoe Rebuilders before opening his own shop at 450 Dundee Ave in 1936. This wall calendar was given to customers as a promotion for Broadnax Shoe Rebuilders.


Remembering LeeWards
LeeWards Creative Crafts was an American crafts and fabrics retailer. It was founded in Elgin in 1947. Many of us have fond memories of beaded Christmas ornaments, crochet topped dish towels or embroidered pillow cases at Grandma’s house. Chances are many of these came from kits sold by LeeWards. Among these kits were embroidered baby quilts. Here we have a hand quilted applique baby quilt made from a LeeWards kit.


Dick Peck’s Pocket Watch
This watch belonged to Elgin aviator Dick Peck, son of George Peck who owned the Peck Department Store. It was found by the donor at the plane crash site where Dick Peck died in 1931.