Elgin History Museum





Built in 1846, the Nancy Kimball house is the oldest cobblestone building in Elgin, built for the widow of one of Elgin’s founders, Joseph Kimball by her sons, William and Samuel. This building is important to Elgin as one of the last old architectural styles left in Elgin, with 16-inch thick cobblestone walls, a source of neighborhood pride and a project that promotes architectural preservation and adaptive re-use. The vision for the home, being overseen by the Elgin History Museum, includes a gallery space for the exhibition of local history, art and the work of craftsmen; a work room for hands-on demonstrations and community projects; and space for education programs and meetings.
About the artist: This framed 24″ x 30″ oil painting is by husband, father, former ad man and artist Nick Freeman, whose “aim is to create paintings that are engaging.” Nick believes that “contrary to the views of art theoretical absolutists, accessibility is not a sin. Happily, in the spectrum of contemporary art there is a growing appetite for realism.”